A quick one tonight. Making a ‘final day of summer’ supper, I used up my Reg the Veg tomatoes and courgettes. I’d popped into Paxton and Whitfield in Bath during lunch and bought some ewes’ milk curd cheese. This is really clean and fresh tasting with a gentle tang and worked brilliantly with the sweet and sharp tomatoes. The seeds add a great crunch. All in all, even if I do say so myself, this looks great and tastes even better. The perfect end to summer. Enjoy!
Tomato, courgette and ewes’ milk curd cheese salad
Golden cherry tomatoes
Baby plum tomatoes
Red wine vinegar
Pinch of sugar
Courgettes (a variety of shapes and colours works well)
Salt and pepper
Ewes’ milk curd cheese
1. Slice the courgettes thinly (lengthways) and marinade with olive oil and salt and pepper. Char-grill on both sides of the slices until striped.
2. Slice the tomatoes in half and marinade in the red wine vinegar, olive oil, pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt.
3. Meanwhile toast the caraway seeds until you can smell them and place to one side. Then do same to the sunflower and pumpkin seeds until just golden. Keep a close eye because the seeds can quickly burn. Combine half the caraway with the remaining toasted seeds and a pinch of salt.
4. Combine the cheese with the remaining caraway seeds, thyme leaves and lemon zest.
5. Layer the courgettes, drained tomatoes, and dot with the cheese, and sprinkle with the now crunchy toasted seeds. Then feel smug. This took maximum of 10 minutes and tastes amazing.